Hout Bay mourns death of “hero” cop

Warrant Officer Brian Oosthuizen was the only Warrant Officer working as a detective at Hout Bay SAPS and was regarded as a “hero” by all who knew him.

The Hout Bay community is mourning the death of “hero cop” Warrant Officer Brian Oosthuizen who died on Friday December 4 after being admitted to hospital.

On Tuesday December 15, the Hout Bay community got to say their final goodbyes to Warrant Officer Oosthuizen, better known as “Oosie”, when a convoy, which started at the Hout Bay Police Station, travelled through streets of Hout Bay, where the detective spent most of his days, investigating and fighting crime.

“He was a committed member who attended every crime scene at any time of the day or night,” Hout Bay police station commander, Lieutenant Colonel Khutala Masakala, said.

She told Sentinel News: “Oosie was a seasoned investigating officer who dedicated all his time to investigating crime and ensuring perpetrators are behind bars.”

Warrant Officer Oosthuizen started his career in SAPS in 1991 as a constable at Knysna SAPS. After leaving Knysna SAPS at the end of 1991, he joined the Muizenberg SAPS. In 2005, he joined the detective branch as a junior member. After spending seven years at this branch, in 2012, Warrant Officer Oosthuizen joined Hout Bay SAPS and immediately joined their detective branch.

“He was a good person who never complained about his workload and always remained calm. The station has lost a lot and he has left a huge gap as he was the only Warrant Officer at the detectives branch,” Lieutenant Colonel Masakala said.

He was known to take on the big cases and did not shy away from a good old fashioned investigation.

Warrant Officer played a major role in the 2017 “Twins Case”, in which Mario-Cesar Deus Yela was accused of killing his three-year-old twins Octavia and Maximo in a flat in Hout Bay. The father later committed suicide at Pollsmoor Prison before the case could be heard in court.

He also had a hand to play in the case where the tourist was attacked and murdered on Chapman’s Peak.

“He was there from start to finish and that case is still running in court,” Lieutenant Colonel Masakala said.

Hout Bay Neighbourhood Chairperson, Liezl Schulte, said Warrant Oosthuizen would be sorely missed in the Hout Bay community.

“I was very sad to hear about the passing of Warrant Officer Oosthuizen. He spent hours serving the community in Hout Bay. Dedicated, professional, talented and committed are some of the words that come to mind when I think of him,” she said.

Warrant Officer Oosthuizen was known to have a very close-knit relationship with all in the Hout Bay community, with many labelling him as a “hero“.

Patrick Chimene said when he got robbed, Warrant Officer Oosthuizen handled his case from the start.

“You helped me recover my laptop and then you did a thorough investigation and the culprits were sent to jail. From that time you became a friend and we visited each other. I’m shocked to hear such news. You were the only person I spoke to or visited at your offices. My deepest condolences to his family,” he said.

Naomi Chitare Nhokodi said: “What a nice guy he was. We have lost a hero in Hout Bay.”

And Bjorn Train added: “He was truly a dedicated officer who went above and beyond for our community and always showed compassion. He was all good two weeks ago before he was admitted. My heartfelt condolences to his colleagues and family during this tragic time.”

The Hout Bay Community Policing Forum posted on their Facebook page: “Warrant Officer Oosie was a dedicated officer, loving father and friend and a talented detective who spent countless hours serving the community of Hout Bay. Oosie will be sorely missed in the community.”

A family member, Hayden Oosthuizen, also posted: “Hout Bay Community Policing Forum and everyone who sent love, condolences, messages, phone calls and everyone who is popping up at our house, we thank you very much. The Oosthuizen family really appreciates it. God bless you all.”

Warrant Officer Oosthuizen will be laid to rest tomorrow, Saturday December 19.

The Sentinel News tried to reach out to the family, but they were not ready to speak to the media by the time this story was published.