Missing German tourist meant to begin studies

The case against Igshaan Fisher, Jason Adonis, Melvin Geunantin, Carlo Geunantin and Vanroy Petersen has been postponed to Thursday May 4.

Missing German tourist Nick Frischke had wanted a two-week holiday in Cape Town before starting his studies in electrical engineering and computer science at the beginning of the month, his older brother, Tom Frischke, told the Sentinel when Nick went missing

Nick has a diploma in vehicle technology and was a working student at Mercedes in the German city of Sindelfingen, and he wanted to learn to hike, dive and surf, said Tom.

“We’re all worried in Brandenburg, mom, dad, me.”

His 22-year-old brother arrived in the country from Döbern, Brandenburg, on Monday February 6 and went missing on Wednesday February 15 in the Karbonkelberg area of Hout Bay.

Five Hangberg men accused of robbing him appeared in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Igshaan Fisher, Jason Adonis, Melvin Geunantin, Carlo Geunantin and Vanroy Petersen have been charged with robbery with aggravating circumstances.

Blowing kisses and waving to family members in the gallery, they murmured that they wanted to be heard when magistrate Goolam Bowa postponed the case to Thursday May 4 for further investigation.

Mr Bowa allowed pictures of the accused to be taken on condition their faces were not shown as they might have to appear in an identity parade.

According to Hout Bay Community Police Forum chairman Anthony Chemaly, the five men were found in possession of Mr Frischke’s backpack, cellphone and hat as well as a knife.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said the legal representative for the five men told the court that they had all abandoned their bail applications.

“The State requested that the matter be postponed as there is still outstanding investigations that needed to be carried out. Those included witness statements, DNA and cellphone analysis. The accused are remanded in custody,” said Mr Ntabazalila.

A widespread search, involving SAPS, the National Sea Rescue Institute, Wilderness Search and Rescue and the Emergency Medical Services drone unit, has failed to find Mr Frischke.

Despite reports that the police search teams had been withdrawn until new information was gathered, Hout Bay police station commander Lieutenant Colonel Jerome Syster said the search was still continuing and all information received was being followed up.

Provincial police spokesman Colonel Andre Traut did not respond to questions by deadline.

Anyone with information is urged to call the investigating officer Captain Raymond Swart on 082 827 3212 or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

The public gallery of Courtroom 4 was full.
People gathered on Hout Bay Beach on Wednesday March 1 to pray for Mr Frischke.