The National Executive Committee of the South African Football Association (Safa) advised all members to suspend or to postpone all football matches and football events that are attended by more than 100 people in the country until further notice. Regarding soccer, at the grassroots level, Safa Cape Town president Bennett Bailey told the Sentinel that Safa Cape Town-sanctioned league games and tournaments have been postponed since Monday March 16.
“National (Safa) indicated they will issue a statement to postpone all games indefinitely and it will be reviewed after 14 days. Depending on how the country handles this then we will be able to continue,” he said.
“We are very fortunate that we do not have a fatality from the virus. So let us try and support the cause of the president. We ask everyone to stay healthy and follow advice from the health department. “And if they can exercise at home, they should do so, while innovating, staying fit, clean and healthy,” said Bailey.
In other football-related news, the Bayhill under-19 Premier Cup has been cancelled. The draw for the Easter weekend soccer spectacle took place last week.
Tournament director director, PJ Williams confirmed the cancellation of the tournament, on Tuesday morning. The junior spectacle was set to take place at Erica Park, Belhar, from April 8 to April 13 and was set to be the 32nd annual, event since its inception in 1989. “The Bayhill Premier Cup wishes to support the president’s and country’s efforts in containing and preventing the further spread of this global pandemic.
“The Bayhill Premier Cup is saddened that the event will be cancelled, but we are proud to be supporting the cause of the entire nation and ultimately the cause of the global human population. The situation would have an adverse effect on people travelling to and from the event.”