Water restored after main pipe bursts

Municipal workers were busy with repairs to the burst pipe on Friday December 8. Picture: supplied.

The water supply has been restored to the last two pockets of Hout Bay that were left high and dry by a burst on a municipal water main last week, says the City.

The 300mm-diameter pipe near the Riverside Terrace estate burst on Thursday December 7, at 8pm.

Ward councillor Roberto Quintas said the supply had been restored to Constantia Nek and Hout Bay Heights on Tuesday evening December 12.

“Hout Bay Main Road has also been reinstated since Tuesday evening December 12. The two small pockets where water supply was interrupted was likely due to air locks in pressure-release valves” he said.

Mayoral committee member for water and sanitation Zahid Badroodien said the pipeline was more than 40 years old and operated under “immense pressure”.

Upgrades for the pipeline were in the “feasibility stage”, he said.

“The repair to this specific incident was completed last Saturday morning December 9, at 3am.”

Last Thursday, emergency repairs affected the water supply to Llandudno, Baviaanskloof, Mandela Park, Suikerbossie, Mount Rhodes and surrounding areas.

Mr Quintas said the repairs had reached a “critical point” at around 11pm on the Thursday when a section of Main Road had become unstable due to the excavations.

“This necessitated shut down of the water supply to Hout Bay and surrounds,” he said.

“The teams remained on site and worked through the next morning and were still busy with their efforts to stabilise the road before repair works could continue. All materials including new valves and pipes were on site while the teams worked to a deadline of re-installing the pipe and valves by 8pm the following evening.”