Two people were killed in a fire that broke out in Hangberg in the early hours of this morning, Friday October 19.
According to sources, a man and a young boy died in the blaze that razed between 20 and 30 homes in the Hangberg Improvement Development Area. The official cause of the fire is still to be established.
“We send our deepest condolences to the family and friends of those who lost their lives in this tragic event. Our relief support will be made available to the victims of this fire, while our thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost loved ones,” said Thula Thula Hout Bay.
The fire services were alerted to the fire at 2pm. Operations included eight City fire engines and five water tankers, manned by firefighters from Hout Bay, Gugulethu, Sea Point, Constantia and Wynberg.
Ward councillor Roberto Quintas was on the scene at 5.30pm and estimated there were between 100 and 125 residents affected by the fire.
“Clothing and other donations are being collected at the Hangberg civic centre, and the kitchen has also been made available for meal preparation,” he said, adding that Thula Thula was also assisting in co-ordinating relief efforts.
Sentinel Primary School had been scheduled to hold its debutantes event at the civic centre, but principal Claudene Overmeyer had now postponed the event.
Donation drop-offs can also be made at MAMA Seafood & Grill, Sentinel Primary and The Workspace.