A 9-year-old Hout Bay boy remains missing after he was washed off the rocks at Sandy Bay, on Sunday.
The boy was visiting the beach with family and friends at the time of the incident just before 4pm, said National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) spokesman Craig Lambinon.
On Monday, Hout Bay police station commander Colonel Jerome Syster asked that the people who were with the boy show the police where he had been swept from the rocks. He said police officers had searched the area on foot and would search with other units the following day.
NSRI Hout Bay deputy station commander Carmen Long said that the Albie Matthews and Spirit of Gabi rescue crafts were launched, and NSRI Bakoven launched its Gemini Legend rescue craft.
The province’s Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Skymed rescue helicopter was sent to the scene along with various rescue services, including the police dive unit.
“Along the barely accessible terrain, an extensive sea, air, and shoreline search revealed no signs of the missing child,” Ms Long said.
As the sun set, a briefing was held by police divers at the search area.
“It appears that the child, from Hout Bay, was with friends and relatives and they had gone to Sandy Bay where while standing on a rock on the shoreline a wave reportedly swept the child off the rocks into the sea.
“Thoughts are with the family and friends of the missing child in this difficult time,” said Ms Long.