Remembering a community policeman

Sergeant Daniel Buyeye died after being knocked down by a vehicle in Philippi last month.

A Hout Bay police officer, who died after being knocked down by a vehicle in Philippi late last month, has been remembered as a kind, community-spirited man by those who knew him.

“He could be serious and funny all at once, but, know one thing: he always wanted to help,” said Imizamo Yethu mother of four Lindiwe Kgomotso as she spoke about the impact Sergeant Daniel Buyeye had had on her life.

She said she had met Sergeant Buyeye, who was responsible for the domestic violence department at Hout Bay police station, after she had had problems at her home. She had reported the matter at the station, and he had immediately agreed to assist, visiting her home and then offering his help outside of work.

“He would just pass by and drop off groceries or even just a bread at times. He always had the best advice and treated every situation very calmly. He was a very good police officer who loved this community.”

She said Sergeant Buyeye would hand out sweets and chips to children in the street and play football with them.

“We, as a community, could trust him, as he always stuck to his promises. He always tried to speak things through first and never really resorted to violence. That is how we will remember him.”

Sergeant Buyeye grew up in Ntsimbakazi, in Willowvale. He joined the police in 2005 and was stationed in Hout Bay in 2006. In 2016, he was promoted to sergeant.

Imizamo Yethu community leader Kenny Tokwe said: “I have known him for many years, and he was always such a nice young man who loved sports, and, at the same time, loved encouraging our youth to participate in sport.

“The community will miss him a lot, as he was known to be selfless and very helpful.”

The Hout Bay Community Police Forum expressed its condolences to Sergeant Buyeye’s family, friends and colleagues.

Hout Bay SAPS held a memorial service for Sergeant Buyeye on Monday June 6. His funeral will be held in the Eastern Cape on Saturday June 11.

Sergeant Buyeye’s family did not wish to speak to the media.