Ona Dubula, the 14-year-old boy shot in the mouth with rubber bullets in last week’s riots, can eat and speak, but he is tormented by nightmares, says his mother, Pinkie.
Ona was discharged from hospital on Tuesday, a week after a policeman shot him several times at close range as he cowered behind a barricade during clashes with protesters.
“He is going back to hospital on the 28th (September) for a check-up,” Ms Dubula said.
A rubber bullet had to be surgically removed from his mouth.
The Independent Police Investigative Directorate has opened a case of attempted murder against the officers involved in the shooting.
“He (Ona) is still traumatised, and he is having nightmares. He is very scared of the police. He is eating and talking, but he is having bad dreams and mumbling a lot in his sleep,” Ms Dubula said.
She said donations of food and money had been made to the family.