A fire in the early hours of Sunday morning destroyed nearly 200 shacks in Imizamo Yethu, leaving hundreds displaced and devastated.
No deaths nor serious injuries were reported.
The City of Cape Town’s Disaster Risk Management Unit has dispatched a team to investigate and begin registering those affected by the fire and assess the requirements of other service departments.
Ward councillor Roberto Quintas said the Department of Solid Waste had been deployed to clear and clean up sites as “swiftly as possibly so that people can begin rebuilding as soon as possible”.
The water and sanitation, and electricity departments would also be informed of any services they would need to repair and restore, he said.
You can read more about this story in this week’s edition of Sentinel News.