Iziko Museums of South Africa will be celebrating International Museum Day, on Wednesday May 18, with a programme of events, activities and new exhibitions.
This year’s theme is The Power of Museums.
Entry to the Iziko South African Museum, the Iziko South African National Gallery, the Iziko Bo-Kaap Museum and the Iziko Slave Lodge will be free, and entry to the Iziko Planetarium and Digital Dome will be half price on Wednesday.
- On Monday May 16, at 11am, Iziko Curator of Historical Painting and Sculpture, Andrew Lamprecht, will host a walkabout of the Iziko South African National Gallery (ISANG) and a brief conversation about the upcoming 150 anniversary showcase.
- Iziko will host the 3rd Iziko Symposium from Tuesday May 17 until Thursday May 19. These lunch-time talks provide the public with a glimpse behind-the-scenes of Iziko – and are an opportunity to engage with museum curators, researchers and conservation staff.
- See real-life archaeologists at work and touch a one-million-year-old stone tool in a series of behind-the-scenes hour-long guided tours of Iziko’s Archaeology Collections – with tours starting at 10am, noon, and 2pm on Wednesday May 18.
- At the Iziko Bo-Kaap Museum, discover the diversity of Islam in – where curator Annelize Kotze endeavoured to bring together the work of a number of South African Islamic artists.
- At the Iziko Slave Lodge, learn about the lives of those who lived under enslavement at the Cape of Good Hope in the new exhibition, .
Visit https://www.iziko.org.za/news/celebrate-international-museum-day-iziko-museums-south-africa for the full programme.